Thursday, October 22, 2009

History Of Type Poster


17" x 11"
Black Plaka

The assignment following the abstract letterform compositions was to design an analog poster displaying something about our font that we learned through our research.

My typeface was Akzidenz Grotesk.  Helvetica was designed based on Akzidenz Grotesk by changing some minor details.  It would be basically impossible for an untrained eye to even notice that these two fonts are different.  After spending a good amount of time with it, I feel like I know the font pretty well, but there are still some things that could probably slip by me.  I decided to design my poster around the idea that Helvetica is a poor copy of Akzidenz Grotesk.  It fools some people, but good designers know where Helvetica came from and for that reason, many designers stay loyal to the precursor font.

Specifications for poster:

11" x17"
Black, White, and one Color (optional, only to be used with good reason)
Medium is Gouache, Plaka, or Ink
Must display Font
Must display Font name
Must display Designer Name

No comments:

Post a Comment