Friday, December 25, 2009

Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Kwanza.

This year's holiday card created by Alyssa

Friday, December 18, 2009

Old Stuff

6" x 9"
Compressed Charcoal

As I was cleaning my room today/packing to go home, I found this old sketchbook from high school.  This was a quick homework assignment to draw our greatest fear: obviously for me it is the dark. (Although I am also equally terrified of Aliens; perhaps I will do an illustration of that next)

Anyway it just makes me laugh.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Hand Bound Alphabet Book

4.5" x 5.5" x 1.5"

Our Final project in Type I was to create a collaborative Alphabet book.  Each student in the major (c/o 2012) was assigned a letter, number or symbol and had to create a 4 page spread about it.  We had to create it using analog methods, and then make 45 photocopies (so that each student could assemble their own book).  If we wanted to use color in our spread, it had to be done with color pencil on all 45 copies; same for cutouts.

The TA designed the inside title page.

I had the letter J.  This is my first page on the right.
Type as pattern.

Inside spread.
Type as Image.

Back page
We were told to work our name into our design somewhere.

After we made our individual spreads, we assembled them all into one, thick book.  It was hand-sewn which was a new and fun process for me.

I am taking a book arts class over winter session, so I look forward to doing more projects like this.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My first A from Robyn!

Each Frame 3" x 5"
Ink and Watercolor

This was the sequence project.  Our goal was to tell a unique story in 5-10 frames using a sequence of either magnification, position change, direction change, metamorphosis, distortion/destruction, or additive/subtractive.  I did magnification by zooming in.

This piece was featured in the 2010 Not Yet Famous Artists Revealed UD Undergrad juried Art Show

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Word Compositions

7" x 7"
Black Plaka and Micron Pen

To begin this project, we brought in packaging with type on it.  We wrote down everything our package said, then the teacher chose one of our sheets and chose some of the words randomly.

Then we went to Raven Press and used old lead and wood type to hand press our words in assigned fonts.

Then we used these sheets with everyone's words and used those words to create experimental compositions.  Important things to think about were composition, movement, color (the weight of the black on the page), contrast.

After our composition/while we were working on it, we had to also draw the visual mass of the letters.  This could be drawing rectangles that resembled the shape and weight of the letters, using inkwash to mimic the values, etc.  Just be experimental.  I used inkwash with a paintbrush and splattered it onto the page to repeat the value structure of the initial composition.  It helped to work on this WHILE working on the 1st part because it helped with color and compostion.

7" x 7"
Black India Ink and Inkwash