Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Hand Bound Alphabet Book


4.5" x 5.5" x 1.5"

Our Final project in Type I was to create a collaborative Alphabet book.  Each student in the major (c/o 2012) was assigned a letter, number or symbol and had to create a 4 page spread about it.  We had to create it using analog methods, and then make 45 photocopies (so that each student could assemble their own book).  If we wanted to use color in our spread, it had to be done with color pencil on all 45 copies; same for cutouts.



The TA designed the inside title page.



I had the letter J.  This is my first page on the right.
Type as pattern.



Inside spread.
Type as Image.



Back page
We were told to work our name into our design somewhere.

After we made our individual spreads, we assembled them all into one, thick book.  It was hand-sewn which was a new and fun process for me.

I am taking a book arts class over winter session, so I look forward to doing more projects like this.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE the integration between letterforms on the two page spread. Also, I'm a little jealous that you got such an awesome letter

    ReplyDelete
  2. a book-binding class was offered at my high school the year after i graduated, which was pretty unfortunate for me

    glad to see others are keeping book-arts alive and well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam that is awesome! U think u can bring that to xmas eve dinner? I am pretty sure everyone would like to see the work that you and your classmates did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Paul, I am taking a book arts class this winter that concentrates on content AND binding so the art is definitely still alive. I'm looking forward to it.

    @Michelle, I won't be getting that project back until January unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete