Friday, April 9, 2010

Painting

Here is my 1st 2nd painting from my Painting I class. My first painting was pretty bad I think, although the teacher appreciated my use of color. Anyways, I may or may not post it once I take it home from the studio. I'll have to do that when it's dark out, and no on can see.


This painting was a white still life that we had to paint using only a palate knife...no brush. I really enjoyed that process, and the plus side is that you don't need to use any turpenoid. You do end up using more paint however. And since I am always changing my mind about color, I was laying on paint on top of paint on top of paint. A class mate told me that he enjoyed seeing me go through that process. I'm glad someone enjoys it.

Just so you know what's going on here, it is a styrofoam head and styrofoam cups in front of a mirror, laying on fabric.  Basically just random objects the teacher was able to find in the closet. That is my least favorite type of still life, but now we have moved on to a more conceptual painting that is completely our own idea, and i think it is going really well. I will be sure to post that when it is finished.


White Still Life with Styrofoam Head
Oil on Stretched Canvas
10" x 12"

P.S. I have been stretching my own canvas and priming it all semester, rather than buying pre-made . I really enjoy doing it. It's like if you are making a pie, and you can either buy a pre-made crust, or make your own from scratch. It's easier to just buy some pre-made, but it is much more rewarding to think you have made it yourself, and it usually turns out better anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment